Syllabus: English | Français | Português
Bios: English | Français | Português
Bio Supplement: English | Français | Português
Session 1: Maritime Safety and Security—Evolving and Emerging Challenges
- Dr. Ian Ralby
- Dr. Raymond Gilpin (Slides: English | Français | Português)
- Ian Ralby, “Cooperative Security to Counter Cooperative Criminals,” Defence IQ, 2017.
- Raymond Gilpin, “Examining Maritime Insecurity in Eastern Africa,” Soundings, Jan. 2016.
- “State of Maritime Piracy 2016: West Africa Overview,” Oceans Beyond Piracy.
Practitioner Panel: The Maritime Security Cooperation Architecture on Paper and in Practice
- RADM Adeniyi Adejimi Osinowo (Slides: English | Français | Português)
- CDR Emmanuel Ngonge Sone Ajang (Slides: English | Français | Português)
- Ulf Engl, “The African Union, The African Peace and Security Architecture, and Maritime Security,” Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, (2014).
- Kamal-Deen Ali, “Maritime Security Cooperation in the Gulf of Guinea: Prospects and Challenges,” Brill (2015).
- “National Maritime Strategy Toolkit,” Africa Center for Strategic Studies.
Session 2: Coordination Around the Continent in the AIMS 2050
- Africa Integrated Maritime Strategy 2050, AU.
- Timothy Walker, “Reviving AU’s Maritime Strategy,” ISS Policy Brief, Feb. 2017.
- Barthélemey Blédé and Timothy Walker, “Fulfilling the Promise of the Lomé Maritime Summit,” ISS, 21 Oct. 2016.
Session 3: Sharing Information and Maritime Security Responsibilities
- Program to Promote Regional Maritime Security (MASE), EU Documents.
- “New Reporting Center for Piracy in GoG Launched,” Safety4Sea, (June 21, 2016).
- Sylvestre Fonkoua, “Informational Sharing in the Gulf of Guinea,” US Naval War College.
- Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, “Maritime Operations Center,” U.S. Department of the Navy (April 2013).
Session 4: Inter-Regional Coordination – Yaoundé and Beyond
- Ms. Joyce Gakii Marangu Awino (Slides: English | Français | Português)
- Dr. Eninam Massia Christian Trimua
- CDR Emmanuel Bell Bell (Slides: English | Français | Português)
- Gulf of Guinea Code of Conduct (Yaoundé Code of Conduct), June 2013.
- Jeddah Amendments to the Djibouti Code of Conduct, January 2017.
- Efthymios Papastavrids, “Combatting Transnational Organized Crime Committed at Sea,” UNODC, 2013.
- Critical Maritime Routes Programme, GoGIN.
Case Studies in Africa: Zone D, Southern Africa and 5+5
- CDR Cyrille Atonfack (Slides: English | Français | Português)
- Dr. Henri Fouché (Slides: English | Français | Português)
- Mohamed Elmoctar Tolba (Slides: English | Français | Português)
- Republic of South Africa, Defence Department, “Operation Copper: Maritime Security in the Mozambican Channel”.
- “5+5 Defence Initiative: Together Promoting Security in the Western Mediterranean”.
- Ian Ralby, “A Human Security Approach to Maritime Security in the Gulf of Guinea,” Comparative Jurist, 31 Aug. 2016.
- Sam Bateman, “Cooperation is key to security maritime security in the Indian Ocean,” The Conversation (7 Nov. 2016).
Case Studies Outside of Africa: The Caribbean, Southeast Asia, Inter-Continental
- Treaty of San José.
- Derek Reveron, “Maritime Security Cooperation and the Coast Guard,” Center for International Maritime Security (April 17, 2015).
- Ohara Bonji, “Multilateral Maritime Security Cooperation in East and South Asia,” Tokyo Foundation, (March 25, 2015).
- Christian Bueger, “Regional Information Sharing II: A Visit to the ReCAAP ISC,” Bueger, (March 14, 2014).
- Gaye Christofferson, “China and Maritime Cooperation: Piracy in the Gulf of Aden,” Institut für Strategie- Politik- Sicherheits- und Wirtschaftsberatung Berlin, 2009.
- Edmund Dillon, “Security Cooperation in the Caribbean,” Notre Dame.
- Aleeza Mosley, “The Implementation of International Maritime Security Instruments in CARICOM States,” UN, 2010.
- Anthony T. Bryan, “Building Regional Security: Cooperation in the 21st Century,” Western Hemisphere Strategic Analysis Center, 2011.
- EU-Asia Dialogue, “Maritime Security and Piracy: Common Challenges and Responses from Europe and Asia,” Konrad Adenauer Stiftung, 2014.
Session 5: Strengthening Information Sharing and Law Enforcement Cooperation
- CAPT Loïc Moudouma (Slides: English | Français | Português)
- Dr. Miguel Ferreira da Silva
- Framework Agreement on Integrated Cross-Border Maritime Law Enforcement Operations Between the Government of the United States of America and the Government of Canada, May 2009.
- Multilateral Agreement Regarding the Creation of Zone E of the Maritime Region of West Africa and Cooperation to Suppress Illicit Activities at Sea, Maritime Crime and Justice Primer.
- Sam Bateman, “Capacity Building for Maritime Security Cooperation: What are we Talking About?,” 2005.
Plenary Discussion: Moving Forward Sustainably
Last modified: July 13, 2017