National Security Strategy Development and Implementation is a key element in addressing regional, sub-regional and national security challenges. It is also a central component of security sector governance, supporting effective oversight of and accountability within African security sectors.
The National Security Strategy Development (NSSD) review is a one-week program for senior African security sector professionals. This multilateral program provides an opportunity for participants from across the continent to share lessons learned, socialize best practices, and develop key skillsets in support of NSSD within their respective states.
This program aims to:
- Review the elements of NSSD and the NSSD process with participants
- Offer examples and case studies of NSSD processes in various states, including African states, to inform Workshop discussions
- Facilitate the development and launching of an NSSD process in those states which do not currently have one in place, and support the improvement of NSSD processes where they already exist
- Assist participants in reviewing and assessing progress in the development and implementation of a national security strategy in each of their respective countries
January 2017: National Security Strategy Development Workshop
- Assis Malaquias, Why Have a National Security Strategy?
- Stephen Mariano, What is a National Security Strategy and Why Have One?
- Miguel Ferreira da Silva, National Interest, Security Policy, & Strategy
- Neil Levine, Defense and Development Dimensions of National Security Strategy Development
- Bernard Harbone, Defense and Development Dimensions of National Security Strategy Development
- Mathurin Houngnikpo, Processus de formulation de stratégie de sécurité nationale
- Thomas Staal, The National Security Strategy Formulation Process
- Émile Ouédraogo, Identifier et donner pouvoir aux parties prenantes : Consultation et collaboration
- Assis Malaquias, Form and Articulation: Packaging a National Security Strategy
- Thomas Dempsey, Form and Articulation: Packaging a National Security Strategy
- Mathurin Houngnikpo, Bonnes pratiques et tirer profit de l’assistance en matière de sécurité
- Assis Malaquias, Boas Prácticas e Potencialização da Assistência de Segurança