September 12–14, 2018
Africa Center Overview
- Daniel Hampton (Slides)
Plenary 1 Conflict in Africa: Current Trends and Emerging Challenges
- Dr. Dorina Bekoe (Slides)
- Julia Bello-Schünemann et al. 2017. “African Futures: Key Trends to 2035.” Institute for Security Studies, Policy Brief 105.
- Lars Erik Cederman, Kristian Skrede Gleditsch, & Julian Wucherpfennig. 2018. “Grievances, Accommodation, and the Decline of Ethnic Violence,” January 24. Political Violence at a Glance.
- Paul D. Williams. 2017. “Continuity and Change in War and Conflict in Africa.” Prism, vol 6 (4): 33-46.
Plenary 2 Civil War: South Sudan and CAR
- Lauren Hutton. 2018. “Blurring the Lines: Ethnicity, Governance, and Stability in South Sudan,” (May 29). Africa Center for Strategic Studies.
- Katherine Almquist Knopf. 2016. “Ending South Sudan’s Civil War.” Council on Foreign Relations (November).
- Peter Knoope & Stephen Buchanan-Clarke. 2017. “Central African Republic: A Conflict Misunderstood.” (April 13).
- Souleymane Coulibaly et al. 2018. “Central African Republic Economic Update: Breaking the Cycle of Conflict and Instability” (English). Washington, D.C. : World Bank Group. Chapter 2.
Plenary 3 Violent Extremism: Somalia and the Sahel
- Dr. Benjamin Nickels (Slides)
- Ms. Corinne Dufka
- Africa Center for Strategic Studies, “AMISOM’s Hard Earned Lessons in Somalia.” Spotlight. May 30, 2018.
- Anneli Botha and Madhi Abdile, “Radicalisation and al-Shabaab recruitment in Somalia,” ISS, Paper 266, September 2014.
- Catriona Craven-Matthews & Pierre Englebert (2018). “A Potemkin State in the Sahel? The Empirical and the Fictional in Malian State Reconstruction,” African Security, 11:1, 131, DOI: 10.1080/19392206.2017.1419634
- Louisa Waugh and Mana Farooghi, “The Treat us all like Jihadists” International Alert, December 2016.
Plenary 4 Riots and Protests: Cameroon and South Africa
- Dr. Elke Zuern (Slides)
- Dr. Christopher Fomunyoh
- Human Rights Watch, 2018. “ “These Killings Can Be Stopped”: Abuses by Government and Separatist Groups in Cameroon’s Anglophone Regions,” (July 19).
- Emmanuel Freudenthal, 2018. “Cameroon’s Anglophone War, Part 1: A Rifle as the only Way Out,” June 12; and “Cameroon’s Anglophone War, Part 2: Inside the Separatist Conflict,” August 2.
- TC Chigwata et al (2017). “Civic Protests and Local Government in South Africa,” Working Paper Series No. 2. The Civic Protests Barometer: 2007-2016.
Plenary 5 Democratic Transitions and Governance
- Dr. Dorina Bekoe
- Dr. Joseph Siegle (Slides)
- Dorina Bekoe, “Preventing Electoral Violence: Greater Awareness, but Still Falling Short,” USIP Insights (Winter 2015): 5-7.
- Inken von Borzyskowski and Patrick Kuhn, “Does Election Violence make Citizens Hate Democracy and Love Autocracy? Evidence from 19 Sub-Saharan African Countries,” Election Violence Project, March 23, 2016.
- Robert Mattes and Michael Bratton, “Do Africans still want Democracy?” Afrobarometer Policy Paper, No. 36, November 2016.
Plenary 6 Development–Security Nexus
- Dr. Luka Kuol (Slides)
- United Nations; World Bank. 2018. Pathways for Peace : Inclusive Approaches to Preventing Violent Conflict. Washington, DC: World Bank. “Executive Summary.”
- Julia Bello-Schünemann et al (2017), “African Futures: Key Trends to 2035,” ISS Policy Brief, No. 105 (August).
Plenary 7 Gender Dimensions of Insecurity
- Thania Paffenholz et al, “Making women count: Women’s inclusion in peace processes at a glance,” Inclusive Peace & Transition Initiative and UN Women, January 2016.
- Hilary Matfess, 2017. “Rescued and deradicalised women are returning to Boko Haram. Why?” (November 1).
Case Study Exercise and de-Brief: DRC
Assessing the Unrest in Kasai
- MONUSCO. 2017. “DRC: Victims’ Harrowing Accounts Indication Government Complicity in Ethnic-based Massacres in Kasai – UN Report.” August 5.
- DR Congo says Bodies of Escorts Killed with UN Experts are Found. 2018. Africa Times. May 7.
- Congo Research Group. 2018. “Setting Fire to Your Own House.” July.
Assessing the Electoral Dynamics
- Reuben Loffan, 2017. “From Mobutu to Kabila, the DRC is Paying a Heavy Price for Autocrats at its helm,” The Conversation. June 22.
- Africa Center for Strategic Studies. 2018. “Catholic Church Increasingly Targeted by Government Violence in the DRC.” March 27.
- Mvemba Dizolele. 2018. “Waiting for Democracy in Congo,” Foreign Affairs (July).
- Crisis Group, 2018. “Increasing the Stakes in Congo’s Electoral Poker,” June 8.
Assessing the Challenges Facing MONUSCO
- MONUSCO, “Facts and Figures.”
- Janina I. Steinert and Sonja Grimm. 2015. “From the Battlefield to Ballot Boxes: How Effective is the United Nations’ Post-War Democracy Promotion?,” Political Violence at a Glance (December 9).
- Peter Fabricus, 2017. “Is the Force Intervention Brigade still justifying its existence?,” ISS Today, June 22.
- Thijs Van Laer, 2018. “Tough Times Ahead for UN Mission in Congo,” IPI Observatory, April 26.
Plenary 8 National Responses to Conflict
- Dr. Laia Balcells (Slides)
- Mr. Paul Nantulya
- Ibrahim Index of African Governance. 2017. “Safety and Rule of Law,” p. 25-42.
- Patrick Hajayandi. 2016. “The Burundi Political Crisis: Strategies for Resisting the War Entrepreneurs.” IJR Policy Brief , No. 19 (April).
Plenary 9 Peacekeeping in Africa: Africa’s Peace and Security Architecture and the United Nations
- Dr. Paul D. Williams (Slides)
- Paul Williams, “Peace Operations in Africa: Lessons Learned since 2000,” Africa Center for Strategic Studies, Africa Security Brief, No. 25, July 2013. (Also available in French and Portuguese.)
- Sophie Desmidt and Volker Hauck, “Conflict Management under the African Peace and Security Architecture (APSA),” European Centre for Development Policy Management, Discussion Paper no. 211, April 2017.
- Solomon Dersso, “To Intervene or Not to Intervene? An Inside View of the AU’s decision-making on Article 4(h) and Burundi,” Occasional Paper, World Peace Foundation, February 26, 2016.
Plenary 10 Negotiated Settlements in Conflict Resolution
- Dr. Charles Call
- Gaudence Nyirabikali (2015). “Mali Peace Accord: Actors, Issues and their Representation,” SIPRI (August 15).
- Desirée Nilsson (2012). “Anchoring the Peace: Civil Society Actors in Peace Accords and Durable Peace,” International Interactions, 38:2, 243-266, DOI: 10.1080/03050629.2012.659139.
- Marie O’Reilly et al (2015). “Reimagining Peacemaking: Women’s Roles in Peace Processes,” International Peace Institute (June). https://www.ipinst.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IPI-E-pub-Reimagining-Peacemaking.pdf
Plenary 11 Africa’s External Security Partners
- LTC Jean-Baptiste Matton
- Mr. Judd Devermont
- Kerry A. Moore and Jennifer Staats, 2018. “As Military Ties Deepen, China Advances its Ambitions in Africa,” The Olive Branch, USIP (July 18).
- Nicoletta Pirozzi et al. 2017. “The Joint Africa EU Strategy,” European Parliament. November.
- Obi Anyadike. 2017. “Updated: A Rough Guide to Foreign Military Bases in Africa.” February 2. IRINNews.
Community and Alumni Affairs Overview
- Daisy Koné (Slides)