On September 20, 2016, Africa Center Director Kate Almquist Knopf testified before the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee about the crisis in South Sudan. “South Sudan is not on the brink of state failure. South Sudan is not in the process of failing. South Sudan has failed, at great cost to its people and with increasingly grave implications for regional security, including the stability of important U.S. partners in the Horn of Africa,” she said.
- Kate Almquist Knopf, “U.S. Options as South Sudan Leaders Fail the Peace,” Testimony before the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee, September 20, 2016.
- Princeton Lyman and Kate Almquist Knopf, “To Save South Sudan, Put It on Life Support,” Financial Times, July 20, 2016.
- Kate Almquist Knopf, “Society and State Fragility in South Sudan,” Africa Center for Strategic Studies Research Paper, September 30, 2013.
- Majak D’Agoot, “South Sudan’s Stability Hinges on Controlling the ‘Gun Class,’” Africa Center for Strategic Studies video, July 26, 2016.
- Luka Biong Deng, “The Situation in South Sudan,” Africa Center for Strategic Studies video, May 16, 2016.