Colonel (ret.) Tim Mitchell
Session 1 | July 25, 2023
Defining Military Professionalism
- Dr. Kelly J. Ward
Interim Dean of Faculty and Academic Programs, National War College
- Dr. Emile Ouedraogo
Adjunct Faculty Member, Africa Center
- Define “professionalism” and why it is an important characteristic for effective militaries
- Examine the status of professionalism in Africa’s security sector, particularly within the military.
- Assess the challenges to professionalism in the security sector and the costs of weak professionalism in African military, police, and intelligence services.
- Examine the role of security sector leaders in advancing professionalism in Africa’s security sector.
Session 2 | July 25, 2023
PME’s Role in Establishing Military Culture
- General Gary Brito
Commanding General, U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command
- Dr. Jeff Peterson
Director, Character Integration Advisory Group (USMA)
- Discuss the challenge of contrasting goals and practices: we want to produce officers that understand the rule of law, tactically proficient morally strong, citizen soldiers, but we often only teach tactics.
- Discuss the acculturation of military professionalism through PME, including through academies and pre-commission courses.
- Introduce the training vs education paradigm.
Session 3 | July 26, 2023
Adult Learning: Andragogy and PME
- Dr. Barbara Kellerman
Senior Lecturer, Harvard JFK School
- Brigadier General Joyce Sitienei
- Assess the challenges of adult education.
- Demonstrate the importance of the combination of education, experience, and life-long learning.
- Consider other best practices in executive education in and outside of PME.
Session 4 | July 26, 2023
Teaching Critical Thinking Best Practices
- Dr. Brad McCallister
National War College
- Dr. Dave Dworak
Provost, U.S. Army War College
- BG Luke Yetala
Commandant, Malawi Defense Force Command and Staff College
- Describe how the U.S. National War College approaches developing critical thinking skills in its students.
- Present in depth discussion of approaches to teach critical thinking through exercises, wargames, and experiential learning.
- Present examples of teaching critical thinking through case studies.
- Present working examples of both and share examples solicited from participants.
Session 5 | July 27, 2023
A New PME Roadmap
- Dr. Stephen Mariano
Provost, Naval War College
- Colonel Major Mahamadou Magagi
Senior Military Liaison Officer, DPPA-DPO
- Look at security trends and make determinations on when and how to adapt PME.
- Describe how the US fits PME and doctrine to the nation’s challenges through its PME institutions.
- Share lessons learned and challenges in aligning PME to fit national security threats.