Africa Media Review for May 5, 2026

Sudan: UN Distressed by Increasing Drone Attacks Endangering Civilians
The Spokesman for the UN Secretary-General António Guterres on Monday said they are alarmed by the escalating drone attacks that continue to endanger civilians, with a wave of strikes reported across several states in Sudan in recent days. Stéphane Dujarric, briefing the media in New York, said that earlier on Monday, a drone was reportedly shot down over the Khartoum International Airport, leading to flights being cancelled. “That airport, as you know, is vital to humanitarian access. In Al Jazirah State, local sources report that five members, including women and children, from the same family were killed on Saturday,” he said. “In White Nile State, a fuel station and tanker were hit near the city of Kosti. And in North Kordofan State, the state television building in the state capital, El Obeid, was damaged.” “Drone attacks have also intensified in Darfur. Strikes were reported today in West Darfur, while a strike two days earlier in Nyala, South Darfur, injured at least five people and damaged buildings near the offices of humanitarian organizations,” Dujarric added. Radio Tamazuj

How Child Soldiers in Sudan Become Influencers on TikTok
Numerous videos of child soldiers in Sudan are going viral on social media these days, especially on TikTok. Most are filmed by the children themselves using mobile phone cameras and are viewed millions of times, according to Bellingcat reporter Sebastian Vandermeersch. … The war in Sudan, which began three years ago, is one of the world’s largest humanitarian catastrophes. … Children are the most severely affected, according to Kamal Eldin Bashir from the aid organization Save the Children in Sudan. … The most vulnerable are the countless unaccompanied children living without parents in displacement camps. According to the UN children’s agency UNICEF, around 42,000 such children have been registered. … If these children are not treated, it will ultimately have very negative consequences for society, according to Ugandan doctor Victor Ochen. He is the director of the organization AYINET, which specializes in treating former child soldiers. … “They can be exploited as propaganda tools by the warring parties,” he said. … In a regional study commissioned by the African Union, AYINET found the entire region, including Sudan, experiences brutal civil wars in regular cycles. The reason, according to Ochen: “Many experience war as children and see their parents killed. And once they are ten to 15 years older and grown up, they are ready to strike back.” This means trauma perpetuates itself across generations. DW

Mali Lawyer Critical of Junta Abducted Overnight
A well-known Malian lawyer and politician critical of the ruling junta was abducted overnight by masked men in the capital Bamako, members of his family told AFP Sunday. The disappearance of Me Mountaga Tall comes as Mali’s junta faces a major crisis following large-scale attacks on several of its strategic positions last weekend and the killing of its defence minister. …Tall was a member of the M5-RFP movement, a key player in the protests that led to the toppling of former president Ibrahim Boubacar Keita in 2020. Initially an ally of the military officers who seized power in 2020, he subsequently distanced himself from the junta, becoming a vocal critic. … Tall is serving as a defence lawyer for several military officers arrested in recent months by the junta on charges of “attempting to destabilise state institutions”. He has also filed legal challenges in various courts to contest the junta’s decision to dissolve political parties. RFI/AFP

Mali Junta Leader Names Himself Defence Minister after Predecessor Killed
Mali’s military leader Gen Assimi Goïta has taken over as defence minister after the officer who previously held the post was killed in a wave of surprise attacks. The West African country remains in a security crisis more than a week after an alliance of jihadists and separatist rebels launched their nationwide raids. During the offensive, Defence Minister Sadio Camara was killed in an apparent suicide truck bombing on his residence near the capital, Bamako. A decree read on state television on Monday said Goïta would replace Camara as defence minister. He will be assisted by army chief ​of staff Gen Oumar ⁠Diarra, who has been appointed minister delegate. Goïta’s decision to simultaneously lead the presidency and the defence ministry is likely to be interpreted as an attempt to consolidate power at a time when his authority appears to be threatened. BBC

‘Extensive Brutality’: Rebel Attacks Reap Hell on Congolese Civilians
Amnesty International has accused a rebel group in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) of mass war crimes and crimes against humanity. In a damning new report published Monday, the rights group said the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) was behind multiple cases of murder, abductions, forced labour and marriage, sexual abuse of women and girls, and the exploitation of children. … “Civilians in the eastern DRC have suffered extensive brutality at the hands of ADF fighters. They have been killed, abducted and tortured in a dehumanising campaign of abuse,” Agnès Callamard, Amnesty International’s secretary general, said. … The ADF largely operates in eastern DRC, near the Ugandan border, and has for years been in conflict with the government’s Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo (FARDC), along with the UN mission MONUSCO. Repeated ADF attacks have led to mass displacement in parts of the DRC and limited the population’s access to healthcare, food and education. A rebellion by the Rwanda-backed March 23 Movement, better known as M23, has worsened the situation for civilians in the region, while the ADF has taken advantage of international and domestic focus on these attacks to intensify its own military operations in eastern DRC. Al Jazeera

‘The Death Zone’: How Russia Is Luring Africans to Ukraine
A growing number of Africans are ending up on the front lines of Russia’s war with Ukraine. Some go there willingly as mercenaries, but many more are … young men lured by the promise of ordinary civilian jobs — from bodyguards to line cooks — only to be forced into joining Russian forces in battle. A string of fly-by-night companies have been set up across the continent to recruit the men. The companies often appear as travel agencies or job placement firms and advertise on WhatsApp or Telegram. The New York Times interviewed several victims and recruiters. The interviews suggest that the recruiters do not work directly with the Defense Ministry in Moscow. Contracts seen by The Times were in Russian, meaning the Africans could not read them. … It is unclear how many men have been falsely recruited from Africa, though the authorities in at least nine countries have reported cases. And in Kenya, the National Intelligence Service found that around 1,000 Kenyans had gone to Russia and ended up in Ukraine so far. Only 30 of them have returned alive. … Advertisements for Russian military service have flooded African social media over the past year, some promising monthly salaries of up to $3,000, lump-sum payments of $18,000 and even Russian citizenship after six months of service. Middlemen looking to cash in have turned these calls for Russian military service into business opportunities. NY Times

Ugandan Civil Society Denounces ‘Foreign Agents’ Bill
Civil society groups in Uganda have strongly criticised a proposed “Protection of Sovereignty Bill,” warning it could stifle dissent and harm the economy, as debate intensifies ahead of its presentation in parliament. At a press conference, former cabinet minister Miria Matembe condemned the speed at which the controversial legislation is being pushed forward. “I have never seen such a controversial, widely controversial, rejected bill being rushed to be debated within two days… And you bring a bill that has been controversial and widely rejected.” The draft law would criminalise actions deemed to promote “the interests of a foreigner against the interests of Uganda” and label individuals or organisations receiving foreign funding as “foreign agents.” Critics say the language mirrors similar legislation used in other countries to silence opposition voices. … The bill has sparked widespread concern among rights groups, journalists and sections of the private sector, who say it could undermine freedoms and deter investment in the East African nation. AfricaNews

‘If They Come to You, Flog Them’—Suluhu’s Blunt Message to Ruto on Protesters
Tanzania’s President Samia Suluhu Hassan has told President William Ruto to flog anti-government protesters with canes, pledging a joint cross-border crackdown on dissent. Suluhu made the remarks on Monday, May 4, during a joint press briefing at State House in Dar es Salaam, where she and Ruto witnessed the signing of eight bilateral agreements. “Those who cause disorder and disturb their governments must face firm action,” Suluhu said in Swahili. “I have told President William Ruto we must stand firm against those who lack discipline. We should not choose between Tanzanians or Kenyans. If they come to me, I flog them with canes; if they come to you, you flog them with canes, so that they behave.” The statement drew immediate attention for its candour, coming in the months after Tanzania’s own security forces drew widespread condemnation for their handling of protests following the October 2025 General Election. Former Kenya Chief Justice David Maraga condemned Suluhu’s remarks, terming them ‘abhorrent.’ The Standard

Somali Opposition Leaders Meet in Mogadishu to Discuss Alternative Electoral Model
Somali opposition leaders have gathered in Mogadishu to discuss a proposed indirect voting system, signaling a shift away from both the 2022 electoral arrangement and the “one person, one vote” model backed by President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud. According to sources familiar with the talks, the opposition aims to consolidate a compromise electoral framework that could be presented to international mediators engaged in ongoing efforts to broker a consensus among Somali political stakeholders. The discussions come as external partners intensify pressure on Somali leaders to agree on a clear electoral roadmap before the presidential mandate expires on May 15. The proposed model reflects growing concern among opposition figures over the feasibility of holding universal suffrage elections in the near term, as well as dissatisfaction with the clan-based indirect system used in 2022. Garowe Online

EU Says South Sudan Not on Track for December Elections
Pelle Enarson, Head of Delegation of the European Union to South Sudan, said the situation on the ground does not currently allow for credible elections, citing insecurity, lack of political consensus and insufficient preparations. … “From a technical point of view, it won’t be possible to have elections in December if preparations do not start immediately.” … The EU diplomat said the security situation makes voting impossible in some areas. Ambassador Enarson pointed to ongoing violence in parts of the country as a major obstacle to holding nationwide elections. He said areas including Jonglei and Upper Nile remain volatile, making it impossible to safely conduct voting. … The EU envoy also criticised the current political environment, saying it lacks the inclusiveness required for credible elections. … Beyond security and politics, Enarson highlighted significant technical shortcomings, including the absence of key institutional structures. “There is no legal department yet in the National Election Commission. So how are they going to conduct elections when there is no mechanism for dispute resolution?” he asked. He also said government financing would be critical for credible polls. Radio Tamazuj

Nigeria: Obi, Kwankwaso Join NDC Ahead of 2027 Elections
Former Anambra State Governor Peter Obi and ex-Kano State Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso have formally joined the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), marking a major political realignment ahead of the 2027 general elections. … The development comes amid growing uncertainty within the African Democratic Congress (ADC), where both politicians had recently been linked to broader coalition efforts aimed at unifying opposition forces against President Bola Tinubu and the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC). … The latest move follows weeks of speculation over possible defections by key opposition figures amid legal disputes and internal leadership challenges within ADC. Last Thursday, the Supreme Court granted ADC temporary legal reprieve but returned substantive leadership disputes to the Federal High Court, leaving unresolved concerns over the party’s long-term stability. Mr Kwankwaso had earlier acknowledged ongoing consultations with NDC and other political platforms, while Mr Obi’s camp had also indicated concerns over ADC’s internal structure and electoral viability. Their formal entry into NDC significantly boosts the party’s profile as it seeks to position itself as a credible opposition platform ahead of critical electoral deadlines. Premium Times

Pushback in Nigeria over Ex-Boko Haram Fighter Reintegration
Nigerian officials hope to reintegrate more than 700 former Boko Haram fighters into civilian life under its deradicalization program, Operation Safe Corridor. Authorities say the initiative is key to ending a decade-long conflict. But in communities that have borne the brunt of extremist violence, the policy is reopening wounds that have yet to heal. … Operation Safe Corridor, launched in 2016, is Nigeria’s deradicalization program for former Boko Haram fighters who surrender to the military. … Over 2,000 individuals have passed through the initiative, according to Nigerian authorities. Officials say only those assessed as “low risk” are released back into society. … In Borno state, some residents like Muhammad Sharif told DW the idea of living alongside former fighters is very unsettling. He suggests former fighters should be relocated away from communities they once attacked and describes the arrangement as “improper.” … Others say the issue is not just about reintegration — but whether former fighters have truly changed. For Maiduguri resident Usman Abubakar, the distinction between theory and reality is key. … “We have had instances where repentant Boko Haram threatened to go back to the bushes when the promises the state government made to them were not fulfilled. That is why I don’t want to call them repentant. I want to call them surrendered because you cannot see their mind.” DW

Mauritania Lawmakers Sentenced to 4 Years after Insulting President over Racial Bias Claims
Two female opposition lawmakers in Mauritania were sentenced Monday to four years in prison after insulting the president and making claims of racial bias, their lawyers told The Associated Press, in the West African nation long criticized by rights groups for human rights abuses and the persistence of slavery. Last month, lawmakers Marieme Cheikh Dieng and Ghamou Achour were charged with “attacking the symbols of the state” and “calling for gatherings with a view to undermine public security” after they posted messages on social media critical of President Mohamed Ould Ghazouani. The two lawmakers had called in several social media posts for Ghazouani’s removal and accused the Arab-dominated justice system of treating Black citizens and descendants of slaves as second-class citizens. AP

Ghana to Host Global Reparations Conference after UN Slavery Resolution
Ghana will convene an international conference on reparatory justice in June, following the United Nations adoption of the resolution that recognises the transatlantic slave trade as the gravest crime against humanity. The Ghana Ministry of Affairs, in a statement on Monday, announced that the conference will be a three-day meeting, taking place from 17 to 19 June in Accra. The event will be hosted by Ghana’s President, John Mahama, who also serves as the African Union’s champion for reparations. According to the statement, the conference will bring together heads of state, diplomats, scholars, activists and representatives of international organisations to chart the next phase of the global reparations agenda. … Ghana introduced the resolution to the assembly and urged this designation and the establishment of a reparations fund. Premium Times

Africa’s Telecom Towers Turn to Solar as Diesel Costs Surge
Soaring diesel prices linked to the Iran war are accelerating a continent‑wide shift in Africa’s telecom industry, pushing operators to replace fuel‑hungry generators with solar‑powered systems to keep mobile networks running and costs under control. Diesel powers most of Africa’s 500,000 cell phone towers, but recent price spikes and supply disruptions have made it increasingly expensive and unreliable. Several fuel‑importing nations have reported shortages, forcing operators and governments to rethink their energy strategies. “Diesel has always been a major cost, but recent global events have made it even more volatile,” said Lande Abudu of the GSMA. “That strengthens the case for solar and hybrid solutions.” Across the continent, operators are rolling out systems that combine solar panels, battery storage and limited diesel backup — with some aiming for fully solar‑powered sites, especially in rural and off‑grid regions. Energy can account for up to 60% of tower operating costs in remote areas. AfricaNews

Flaws in Kenya’s AI-driven Health Reforms Driving Up Costs for the Poorest
An AI system used to predict how much Kenyans can afford to pay for access to healthcare, has systemically driven up costs for the poor, an investigation has found. The healthcare system being rolled out across the country, a key electoral promise of President William Ruto, was launched in October 2024 and intended to replace Kenya’s decades-old national insurance system. Billed as “accelerating digital transformation”, it aimed to expand access to care to Kenya’s large informal economy: the day labourers, hawkers, farmers and non-salaried workers that make up 83% of its workforce. … Through months of investigation, reporters at Africa Uncensored, in collaboration with Lighthouse Reports and the Guardian, were able to obtain key details of this system and audit how it worked. The findings reveal how, from the start, it was systematically overcharging the poorest Kenyans, overestimating their incomes, while undercharging the wealthiest by underestimating their incomes. … Since its launch, the Social Health Authority (SHA) has been met with a barrage of criticism for misclassifying people, and setting unaffordable or incomprehensible premiums. … Across Africa, Asia and Latin America, PMT algorithms have become popular in determining which households are “poor enough” to receive cash transfers, food subsidies and other benefits. … But Kidd and other researchers have found that these systems simply do not work. The Guardian