His Excellency Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema delivered the keynote address for the Africa Center for Strategic Studies’ program on “Managing Security Resources in Africa,” held this year in Lusaka, Zambia. Premised on the recognition that the efficient management of resources is a pillar to effective security, the program brought together over 60 African civilian and uniformed security sector professionals from 16 countries.
President Hichilema declared that security is essential for “citizens’ livelihoods, access to goods and services, as well as the free exercise of civil, political, social, and economic rights.” Acknowledging the growing complexity of security threats and megatrends, President Hichilema stated that for Africa to realize its enormous potential, citizens must feel safe and secure.
To address the root causes of insecurity, security sector leaders must “work closely with other government agencies, civil society, and the private sector.” This integrated approach will “forge new civil-military relations by promoting greater cooperation, coordination, and communication between civilian and military sectors.”
President Hichilema recognized that achieving security goals requires strong political leadership, promising to support Zambia’s military services to achieve these objectives.
“For Africa to realize its enormous potential, citizens must feel safe and secure.”
President Hichilema stated that developing “a National Security Strategy is a critical step toward achieving security goals.” This process provides a rational approach to planning, developing policy, and budgeting for a country’s security challenges so as to allocate resources in line with security priorities. Doing so in a transparent way will build citizen confidence in the security sector while ensuring security officials remain accountable to the people and operate within the rule of law.
- Africa Center for Strategic Studies, “Deepening a Culture of Military Professionalism in Africa,” Spotlight, December 20, 2022.
- Catherine Lena Kelly, “Justice and Rule of Law Key to African Security,” Spotlight, Africa Center for Strategic Studies, May 25, 2021.
- Africa Center for Strategic Studies, “National Security Strategy Development in Africa: Toolkit for Drafting and Consultation,” January 2021.
- Godfrey Musila, “Why Justice Matters for Security,” Spotlight, Africa Center for Strategic Studies, April 20, 2018.
- Institute for Economics and Peace, “Peace and Corruption,” 2015.
- Emile Ouédraogo, “Advancing Military Professionalism in Africa,” Research Paper No. 6, Africa Center for Strategic Studies, July 2014.