September 14-16, 2022
Overview of the Africa Center
- Mr. Daniel Hampton
- Website: africacenter.org
Module 1: Africa’s Security Landscape
Plenary 1: Violent Conflict Trends, Megatrends, and Security Implications
- Explore the changing demographic, economic, and environmental factors that may pose security challenges now or in the near future.
- Understand the types of conflict and violence in Africa, as well as changes in patterns of conflict and violence over time.
- Consider how the United States can support African governments, regional organizations, and citizens to address and mitigate the drivers of conflict.
- Dr. Paul D. Williams
- Dr. Luka Kuol
Plenary 2: Violent Extremism
- Assess the underlying drivers and root causes of violent extremism in Africa, with an emphasis on the Sahel.
- Distill the roles played by local government and non-government actors, as well as the international and regional communities, in countering and preventing violent extremism.
- Discuss how the United States can support local, national, regional and international efforts to address violent extremism in the Sahel and elsewhere in Africa.
- Dr. Anouar Boukhars
- Ms. Kamissa Camara
Plenary 3: Transnational Organized Crime
- Describe the key actors, networks and trends involved in transnational organized crime in Africa.
- Understand the drivers of transnational organized crime in Africa, as well as its consequences for governance, stability, and economic development.
- Discuss how the United States can work with Africa-based governments, citizens, and regional organizations to address transnational organized crime.
- Mr. Martin Ewi
- Dr. Catherine Lena Kelly
Plenary 4: Maritime Security
- Explore maritime safety and security in Africa.
- Evaluate existing arrangements to safeguard Africa’s maritime interests.
- Discuss how the United States can further advance maritime safety and security in Africa.
- Dr. Ifesinachi Okafor-Yarwood
Plenary 5: Cyber Security Threats and Challenges
- Explore how the spread of information and communications technology in Africa is influencing Africa’s economic, geopolitical and security landscape.
- Assess national, regional, and international approaches to managing Africa’s cyber-related threats.
- Discuss how the United States can help African states, private sector actors and citizens manage cyber threats without undermining political liberties and freedoms.
- Ms. Nanjira Sambuli
- Dr. Nate Allen
Module 2: Africa’s Security Governance Challenges
Plenary 6: Democracy, Rule of Law and Security Sector Governance
- Examine the progress, challenges, and opportunities African countries face in achieving representative, democratic governance based on the rule of law.
- Discuss the importance of a democracy and rule of law to citizen safety and security in Africa.
- Identify the ways in which the United States can help to reinforce democracy and the rule of law in Africa.
- Dr. Catherine Kelly
- Dr. Chris Fomunyoh
Plenary 7: External Actor Influence
- Assess Russian and Chinese economic, political, and security engagement in Africa.
- Discuss the security implications of Russian and Chinese engagement in Africa.
- Consider how the United States can help African partner nations address the malign aspects of Russian and Chinese engagement with Africa.
- Dr. Joseph Siegle
- Dr. Lina Benabdallah
Plenary 8: Civil Military Relations: Sudan in the Comparative Perspective
- Assess the current state of civil-military relations in Africa.
- Discuss how African civil-military relations influence security outcomes in Africa through their influence on coups, conflict, and democracy.
- Discuss how civil-military relations have influenced Sudan’s ongoing transition.
- Discuss how the United States can help African governments foster more transparent, effective, and accountable security force institutions.
- Dr. Nate Allen
- Ms. Susan Stigant
Module 3: National, Regional, and USG Responses
Plenary 9: National Security Strategy and Management of Security Resources
- Discuss the importance of National Security Strategy and resource management in achieving effective security outcomes.
- Highlight key trends, challenges, obstacles and lessons learned in National Security Strategy and resource management in Africa.
- Highlight opportunities for the United States to advance strategic leadership and improve the management of security resource in Africa.
- Dr. Gary Milante
- Dr. Joel Amegboh
Plenary 10: Regional Approaches to Conflict Management in Africa
- Provide an overview of challenges and opportunities of regional and sub-regional responses to regional security challenges.
- Assess regional security and defense policies, architectures, and mechanisms for responding to regional security challenges.
- Discuss how the United States can advance relationships with key regional actors, such as the African Union and the Regional Economic Committees, to improve security provision in Africa.
- Dr. Dorina Bekoe
- Ms. Alexis Arieff
Plenary 11: United States Government Partnership and Assistance to Africa
- Provide an overview of U.S. foreign policy objectives, partnerships, and Africa-focused programs.
- Examine the objectives and mechanisms of U.S. security assistance to Africa.
- Discuss challenges, lessons learned, and ways to improve partnerships between the United States and Africa to address Africa’s most pressing security challenges.
- Mr. Matthew Petit
- Ms. Chidi Blyden