Dr. Joel Amegboh
Africa’s Evolving Security Landscape: Security, Development, Governance Nexus
Dr. Lori-Anne Théroux-Bénoni
Director for West Africa, the Sahel and the Lake Chad Basin, ISS
Dr. Abdou Lat Gueye
Former Director, ECOWARN
- Describe the links between development, security and governance and the areas of overlap and convergence.
- Understand the role of resources in the security-development-governance nexus.
- Discuss lessons from development programming that could apply to the management of security sector resources.
Trends in Resources Availability and Security Sector Expenditure
Dr. Nan Tian
Senior Researcher and Acting Programme Director for the Military Expenditure and Arms Production Programme, SIPRI
Dr. Raymond Gilpin
Chief Economist and Head of the Strategy, Analysis and Research Team at the Regional Bureau for Africa, UNDP
- Analyze the trends in security spending in
- Assess the drivers of spending patterns in Africa’s security
- Examine strategies for effective management of security sector resources for both security and economic
Aligning Security Sector Resources with National Security Strategies
Dr. Joel Amegboh
Assistant Professor for African Security Studies, Africa Center for Strategic Studies
Dr. Fairlie Chappuis
- Understand how resources are mobilized and allocated for the development of national security strategy and its
- Probe how national security strategy development helps in aligning resources (internal and external) and leveraging partnerships (regional and international) to achieve national security
- Discuss the challenges and lessons learned for effective allocation and alignment of security resources through national security strategies.
Strategic Planning, Budgeting, and Resource Mobilization
BG (ret.) Saleh Bala
CEO, White Ink Consult
Dr. Willene Johnson
President, Komaza Inc.
- Discuss systems and approaches necessary for strategic planning, budgeting and their relevance to the security sector in Africa.
- Present different types of budgets and the main steps in the budgeting cycle and how they are linked to national security strategies.
- Discuss the necessary institutional reforms measures to enhance revenue mobilization in the security sector in Africa.
Public Expenditure Management in the Security Sector
Dr. Luka Biong Deng Kuol
Distinguished Adjunct Professor, Africa Center for Strategic Studies
Dr. Gary Milante
Program Director and Focal Point for the Global Registry of Violent Deaths Initiative, SIPRI
- Introduce the concept of Public Expenditure Management (PEM) and its link with Public Expenditure Policy (PEP) and Public Financial Management (PFM).
- Examine the desired outcomes of the PEM in the security sector.
- Discuss the rationale for a Public Expenditure Review (PER) of the security sector and its implications for promoting the achievement of the desired outcomes of the PEM.
Security Sector Oversight Mechanisms and Institutions
Colonel (ret.) Jerome Bouadi
Technical Advisor, National Security Council of Côte d’Ivoire
Dr. Catherine Lena Kelly
Associate Dean and Associate Professor of Justice and Rule of Law, Africa Center for Strategic Studies
- Explore how effective oversight of the security sector enhances democratic control, accountability, and
- Demonstrate the need to improve information flows between civilian authorities and military officials while also building capacity on both sides.
- Build on understanding institutional framework for oversight.
Building External Partnerships
Ms. Amanda Dory
Director, Africa Center for Strategic Studies
- Discuss the role of the external security partners and their effectiveness in supporting the management of security resources and delivery of security and safety in Africa.
- Analyze and understand potential costs and benefits of external
- Describe how best to enhance and coordinate external security assistance to advance national security priorities and objectives in Africa.