November 2, 2023
The Africa Center will hold a webinar on the strategic significance of bolstering civilian oversight of the security sector. African experts will share knowledge, experiences, and practical tools/techniques for enhancing civilian oversight of various parts of the security sector, and reflect on innovative ways forward.
- Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of security sector oversight institutions (police oversight boards, parliamentary committees, independent commissions to counter corruption and protect human rights).
- Analyze some of the opportunities and threats that security sector oversight institutions and the leaders who are implementing the oversight process have encountered in different African country contexts, as well as strategic ways to respondd.
- Continue providing a forum for African experts to share knowledge and experiences on the importance of rule of law for senior and emerging leaders involved in defense and security sector governance.
- Dan Kuwali, “Oversight and Accountability to Improve Security Sector Governance in Africa”, Africa Security Brief no. 42, Africa Center for Strategic Studies, September 11, 2023.
- Africa Center for Strategic Studies, “The Role of Parliamentary Committees in Building Accountable, Sustainable, and Professional Security Sectors,” April 3, 2023.
- APCOF Policy Paper, “The National Police Board,” African Policing Civilian Oversight Forum, 12 July 2015.
- APCOF Policy Paper, “Parliamentary Oversight of the Police in South Africa: Lessons and Opportunities,” African Policing Civilian Oversight Forum, 10 November, 2014.
Dr. Catherine Lena Kelly
Associate Dean, Associate Professor of Justice and Rule of Law
Africa Center for Strategic Studies
Mr. Sean Tait
Founder and Director, African Policing Oversight Forum
Mr. Abdul Tejan-Cole
Former Commissioner, Anti-corruption Commission of Sierra Leone