“Security in the Sahel is also security in Europe,” according to Ambassador Angel Losada Fernandez, the EU Special Representative for the Sahel. In this interview with the Africa Center, Ambassador Losada discusses the European Union’s strategy in the region, which concentrates on the nexus between security and development. The four pillars of the strategy are youth, the fight against radicalization, migration, and illicit trafficking. Ambassador Losada has been in his current role since 2015 and previously served in numerous diplomatic positions, including as the Permanent Representative of Spain to ECOWAS from 2006-2011.
- Africa Center for Strategic Studies, “A Review of Major Security Efforts in the Sahel,” Infographic, March 4, 2019.
- Pauline Le Roux, “Confronting Central Mali’s Extremist Threat,” Spotlight, Africa Center for Strategic Studies, February 22, 2019.
- Africa Center for Strategic Studies, “The Complex and Growing Threat of Militant Islamist Groups in the Sahel,” Infographic, February 15, 2019.
- Africa Center for Strategic Studies, “Militant Islamist Group Activity in the Sahel Grows,” Infographic, October 29, 2018.
- Africa Center for Strategic Studies, “Progress and Setbacks in the Fight against African Militant Islamist Groups in 2018,” Infographic, January 25, 2019.
More on: Security and Development Sahel