December 9, 2021
The Africa Center for Strategic Studies will convene an academic webinar that provides an in-depth look at the origins, motivations, and drivers of Al-Shabaab. The analysis will consider dynamics in the group’s composition, its objectives over time, as well as political and economic factors that have enabled it to persist.
- Participants will have a better understanding of the composition, motivations and objectives, as well as drivers and enabling factors of al-Shabaab.
- Participants will have better clarity of the political economy of violent extremism in Somalia.
- Participants will gain better insights into the most relevant frameworks and approaches to understanding and diagnosing the key violent extremist actors in their contexts.
- Orly Maya Stern, “Al-Shabaab’s Gendered Economy,” Adam Smith International, 2021.
- Mohamed Haji Ingiriis, “The anthropology of Al-Shabaab: the salient factors for the insurgency movement’s recruitment project,” Small Wars & Insurgencies, Vol 31,, N, 1, 2020.
- Mr. Omar Mahmood
- Dr. Orly Maya Stern
- Mr. Mohamed Haji Ingiriis
Dr. Anouar Boukhars