Civilians Beheaded in New Attack on Mozambique Port Town
Insurgents attacked a key Mozambique port town near a major international gas hub early Monday, beheading several civilians, locals reported. It was the second attack this month on Mocimboa da Praia, which is around 80 kilometres south of a stalled multi-billion-dollar liquefied natural gas project operated by French energy giant TotalEnergies. … The town is in the northern Cabo Delgado province, which adjoins Tanzania, and militants have been active in the area since 2017. More than 6,200 people have been killed in the violence since then, according to conflict monitor ACLED. … Mocimboa da Praia was previously a landing port for fuel, cars, tractors and other equipment for companies operating in the gas hub near the town of Palma. The project has been stalled since militants struck Palma in March 2021. More than 800 people were killed, including several TotalEnergies subcontractors, according to an ACLED toll. AFP
South Sudan: Machar’s Trial Adjourned as Defense Challenges Court
The criminal trial of South Sudan’s suspended First Vice President Riek Machar began Monday with the prominent opposition leader appearing inside a defendant’s cage alongside seven co-accused, marking his first public appearance since being placed under house arrest in March. The special court in Juba delayed proceedings until Tuesday after Machar’s defense team mounted a formal challenge to the court’s legal authority and composition. The hearing, broadcast nationally, was adjourned to allow the government’s prosecution team to prepare written responses to four key objections raised by the defense. Machar’s lawyers contested the court’s legitimacy, arguing it lacks both competency and jurisdiction to hear the case as Machar is appointed under provisions of the 2018 peace agreement. They also objected to the inclusion of private lawyers within the official prosecution team and invoked Machar’s legal immunity as the nation’s sitting first vice president. Presiding Judge James Alala Deng granted the defense request that all responses from the prosecution be provided in writing. … Machar was suspended by President Salva Kiir earlier this month after justice authorities filed criminal charges linked to his alleged role in an attack on a government troops garrison earlier this year. He and seven others face charges including treason, crimes against humanity, murder, conspiracy, terrorism, and destruction of public property and military assets. Radio Tamazuj
South Sudan: Security Forces Block Independent Media from Covering Machar Trial
South Sudanese security forces on Monday barred independent media outlets from covering the long-awaited trial of suspended First Vice President Riek Machar and seven senior officials of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-in-Opposition (SPLM-IO). Only the state-run South Sudan Broadcasting Corporation (SSBC) was granted access to cover and broadcast the court proceedings, which began in Juba. Several journalists told Radio Tamazuj that they were denied entry despite arriving early and attempting to follow procedures for coverage. “I woke up early to cover this case,” said Denis Logonyi, a freelance journalist. “When we got to the prison, we found the prosecutor and a man called Nyibany, but they told us we needed a document from the Ministry of Information, which we were never informed about.” Logonyi said a Ministry of Justice official later reiterated that only SSBC would be allowed to cover the trial. “This shouldn’t be happening,” he said. “The court is meant to uphold transparency. SSBC alone cannot provide comprehensive coverage for the entire country and the international community.” Radio Tamazuj
Sudan: Somoud Coalition Asks AU to Postpone Political Consultations
A major Sudanese civilian coalition on Saturday asked the African Union to postpone political talks scheduled for October, citing the country’s dire humanitarian crisis and concerns that the process is not inclusive, a leader in the group told Sudan Tribune. The AU-led consultations, set for Oct. 6-10, were intended to pave the way for a comprehensive national dialogue and a transition to civilian rule. In a letter to the AU, the Civil Democratic Alliance of Revolutionary Forces “Somoud” argued that current conditions are unsuitable for a political process while fighting continues. The leader said the immediate priority must be a humanitarian truce and ceasefire. He also said the selection of participants was unbalanced, favouring factions loyal to the government. Sudan Tribune
Starvation or Execution: Sudanese under Siege Face ‘Death Everywhere’
For the hundreds of thousands of civilians trapped inside the besieged Sudanese city of El Fashir, suffering waits at every turn. They face death by starvation, disease or bombardment if they stay; those who leave have been kidnapped, raped and tortured. If the city falls, rights groups warn, it could trigger the largest bloodbath yet in the country’s catastrophic civil war. El Fashir is the last city in the western Darfur region outside the control of the Rapid Support Forces (RSF). … Around 11,000 soldiers and allied fighters are now struggling to hold the city, a last refuge for more than a quarter of a million people, many of whom fled massacres and ruined villages in other parts of Darfur. The city shudders under daily attacks: Witnesses described children in makeshift shelters being torn apart by shells. El Fashir once had 36 clinics and hospitals; only a single one remains partly operational, and many doctors have been forced into hiding. The city’s water plant has been targeted repeatedly, and cholera is rampaging through a population crippled by hunger. … There is one way out of El Fashir — for those who can afford it. Fleeing civilians are easy prey for RSF extortionists. … The end point for many is Tawila, a small town that hosts 800,000 displaced people and is gripped by cholera. “Some people have walked 60 kilometers on foot, bleeding from gunshot wounds and severe whippings, yet they are the fortunate few who survived,” Sylvain Penicaud, a project coordinator for Doctors Without Borders in Tawila, said in a statement last week. The Washington Post
Malawi’s Ex-president Mutharika Takes Early Lead in Election
Malawi’s former president Peter Mutharika has taken an early lead in this week’s election, in which he faced off for the fourth time against incumbent Lazarus Chakwera, provisional results from one-quarter of councils showed. Mutharika received roughly 51% of the valid votes cast in nine of the country’s 36 councils, compared with nearly 39% for Chakwera, according to Reuters calculations based on results released by the country’s election commission. A candidate needs to secure more than 50% of valid votes for an outright win, otherwise there will be a second round. Political analysts had predicted that the September 16 vote would be a two-horse race between Mutharika and Chakwera, the presidential candidates of the two biggest parties in the Southern African country’s parliament. Malawi has faced economic stagnation since former pastor Chakwera, 70, was elected five years ago. … The election commission has until the end of September 24 to announce the full provisional result of the presidential election. It has warned candidates not to declare victory prematurely and says it is cross-checking every tally sheet to ensure accuracy. The constitutional court annulled Mutharika’s 2019 election victory because of irregularities including the use of correction fluid on results sheets. Chakwera won the re-run in 2020. Reuters
Tanzania: Court Dismisses Lissu’s Objection on Treason Charges
The High Court of Tanzania has dismissed all objections raised by opposition leader Tundu Lissu regarding the validity of the charge sheet in his treason case. Mr Lissu faces one count of treason, based on remarks he allegedly made on April 3, 2025, in Dar es Salaam, calling on Tanzanians to prevent the 2025 General Election. Last week, he had argued that the charge sheet was defective because it failed to specify the particulars of the offence and the intent to commit treason, which he said were essential elements of such a charge. Delivering the ruling on behalf of a panel of judges, on Monday September 22, 2025, presiding judge Dunstan Ndunguru said the court had reviewed the document and was satisfied that it met the legal requirements by outlining the offence as prescribed by law. On the issue of intent, the court said that this was a matter of evidence, which would be presented during the trial. Regarding Mr Lissu’s argument that the witnesses’ statements were invalid for allegedly violating a previous High Court order to protect civilian prosecution witnesses, and that police officers’ statements were taken unlawfully, the court ruled that those issues are related to committal proceedings and had already been determined. Consequently, the court concluded that Mr Lissu’s objection had no basis and dismissed it. The Citizen
Guinea Counts Votes in a Referendum that Could Allow Junta Leader to Run for President
Vote counting was underway in some polling stations in Guinea Sunday evening in a referendum on a draft constitution that could allow the leader of the country’s junta to run for the presidency. The referendum … is being closely monitored in the coup-battered region, with critics calling it a power grab. Some say it is a way for Gen. Mamadi Doumbouya, who took power by force four years ago, to seek the presidency and legitimize his military rule. … There are 6.7 million eligible voters and the referendum needs a turnout of at least 50% to pass. Some polling stations extended voting time after they were scheduled to close. The referendum was organized by the Directorate General of Elections, a new body that will oversee the vote count and whose two heads were elected by Doumbouya. … The opposition called on their supporters to boycott the referendum. The military regime had silenced critics and last year dissolved more than 50 political parties in a move it claimed was to “clean up the political chessboard.” Weeks before the referendum, it suspended the three main opposition parties, making it impossible for them to organize rallies and speak to the population. AP
Chad’s Move to Drop Presidential Term Limits Slammed as ‘Burial of Democracy’
Chad is a step closer to allowing the president to serve an unlimited number of terms after the lower house of parliament signed off on major constitutional changes [last] week. Opposition figures told RFI that the move, which could help keep President Mahamat Idriss Déby in power, presents a fundamental threat to democracy. Chad’s revised constitution was overwhelmingly approved by the National Assembly [last] Monday and is due for a final vote by the Senate on 13 October. If it passes there too, then the president will sign the constitution into law. Among other changes, the reform extends the president’s term from five to seven years, renewable without limit. Malloum Yoboïdé Djeraki, head of the opposition Social Democratic Party for a Change of Power (PDSA) and a member of the special parliamentary committee tasked with examining the proposed revisions, told RFI he was taken aback by the scope of the changes. “They talked about a technical revision. But when we started work, we were surprised, because it wasn’t a technical revision on the table but a profound modification of the Constitution,” he said. The MP was one of 16 who boycotted Monday’s vote, which saw the reform passed by 171 out of 188 lawmakers. One other MP abstained. Leading opposition figure Albert Pahimi Padacké, a former prime minister and presidential candidate, said Chad was “choosing to abandon the democratic path”. “The government seems to want to move too quickly,” he told RFI’s correspondent Nadia Ben Mahfoudh. “We risk seeing the burial of democracy in our country.” RFI
Togo Rapper Arrested Again over Alleged President Criticism
The popular Togolese rapper Aamron, known for criticising President Faure Gnassingbe, was re-arrested Friday, his lawyer said, two days after a former minister was also taken into custody. Aamron’s initial arrest in May sparked outrage in the west African country and contributed to a wave of demonstrations against Gnassingbe, resulting in a crackdown on public dissent. Gnassingbe took office in 2005 after the death of his father, in power for 38 years, and has pushed through constitutional reforms that critics describe as a means to consolidate his rule. .. His detention was one of the triggers for June’s protests against Togo’s crackdown on critical voices, rising electricity prices and the president’s constitutional reforms. … Aamron’s latest arrest comes two days after that of a former defence minister who has become a vocal critic of the government. Marguerite Gnakade, who was minister between 2020 and 2022 and is Gnassingbe’s sister-in-law, was arrested Wednesday at her home in Lome, according to police. AFP
Guinea-Bissau Opposition Leader Returns from Exile
Guinea-Bissau’s opposition leader returned from exile on Friday to submit his candidacy for the country’s presidential election later this year, an AFP reporter said. Domingos Simoes Pereira, a former prime minister and leader of the PAIGC party that led the former Portuguese colony to independence, has spent nine months out of the country because of a perceived threat to his life and legal issues. … He announced on social media that he intends to run for the presidency on November 23 and wanted to meet the September 26 deadline to submit his application. Pereira has been a long-time opponent of President Umaro Sissoco Embalo and stood against him at the last presidential elections. AFP
Djibouti Presidential Spokesman Resigns Over Democratic ‘Regression’
A key spokesman for Djibouti’s long-ruling president has resigned, denouncing the country’s democratic regression and “nepotistic practices”, according to a statement seen by AFP on Monday. President Ismail Omar Guelleh has held power since 1999, turning the tiny, arid Horn of Africa nation into a reliable international military and maritime hub for the United States and China. Guelleh has indicated he may seek a further term in power next year, although that would require a change in the constitution. But Alexis Mohamed, a close advisor and key spokesman for the president internationally, said he had gone too far. … In his statement, the former advisor also said he refused to condone “any proposed amendment to the constitution” that would allow the head of state to run for re-election in the presidential election due by April 2026. Term limits are an “essential foundation of any democracy”, he wrote, describing the proposed move as “highly detrimental” to Djibouti. In an interview with Africa Report in May, 77-year-old Guelleh left open the possibility of running again. That would require a constitutional amendment, as currently the constitution bars candidates over 75. AFP
Reps Speaker Canvases Stronger Nigeria-Cuba Diplomatic Ties
Speaker of the House of Representatives, Abbas Tajudeen, has called for deeper parliamentary diplomacy between Nigeria and Cuba to strengthen cooperation in health, education, research, and investments. The speaker made the call in Abuja on Sunday while receiving a Cuban delegation, which paid him a courtesy visit. The delegation was led by Fernando Llort, a national hero of Cuba, member of the National Assembly of the People’s Power of Cuba (ANPP), and President of the Cuban Institute of Friendship with the Peoples (ICAP). Mr Tajudeen, represented by his deputy, Bemjamin Kalu, stressed that parliamentary diplomacy should go beyond protocol to deliver practical outcomes. … “Our tools are laws, oversight, and convening power. The Nigeria–Cuba Parliamentary Friendship Group provides a platform to fast-track frameworks for medical exchanges, academic recognition, joint research, and targeted investments,” he said. … The speaker urged both parliaments to move beyond symbolic gestures to actionable cooperation that guarantees technology transfer, fair protection of intellectual property, and the creation of local value chains. Premium Times
Ruto Presses Africa’s Case for Permanent UN Security Council Seats
Kenya President William Ruto has called Africa’s exclusion from permanent membership of the United Nations Security Council “indefensible” and urged African leaders to unite in pressing for reform. Ruto spoke at the Seventh Summit of the African Union Committee of 10 Heads of State and Government (C-10) on Security Council reform, saying Africa carries a disproportionate share of the council’s agenda yet remains the only continent without permanent representation. “Africa’s exclusion is indefensible. At 80, the United Nations’ credibility will be judged by whether it finally delivers justice and representation for Africa,” said Ruto on September 22. He noted that Africa contributes some of the largest numbers to United Nations peacekeeping operations but continues to be sidelined in decision-making. Ruto observed that unity among African states is the only way to secure permanent seats on the council. “To deviate from or dilute the Common African Position would betray the trust of our people. Unity is our greatest strength,” he added. The summit coincided with the 20th anniversary of the Ezulwini Consensus and the Sirte Declaration, which set out Africa’s demand for at least two permanent seats with veto powers and five non-permanent seats on the council. Ruto explained that Africa must not only demand its rightful place but also prepare to shoulder the responsibilities of permanent membership, including how representatives will be chosen. The Standard
Africa CDC Earmarks $3.2 billion to Boost Local Drug Manufacturing
The African Union’s autonomous continental health agency, Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC), has announced a $3.2 billion financing and grant package to support local drug and vaccine manufacturers. The initiative aims to reduce Africa’s reliance on imported pharmaceuticals and foster self-sufficiency in healthcare production. Dr Abebe Getenu, the Africa CDC local manufacturing coordinator, revealed the funding details during a Thursday meeting with drug developers, manufacturers, and researchers in [Uganda]. The visit, part of a broader assessment of Africa’s manufacturing capabilities, included a delegation led by Dr Mosoka Fallah, Africa CDC’s director of science and innovation, alongside researchers from other African nations. … “Finance is the core of any manufacturing,” Dr Getenu said. “So for that, we have been working with development finance institutions (DFIs); we’ve got a $2 two billion dollars pledge from African Export–Import Bank (Afreximbank) to finance manufacturing on the continent,” he added. “We have [also] got $1.2 billion from the Gavi African Vaccine Manufacturing Accelerator (AVMA).” Monitor