Benin Coup Attempt Thwarted by Soldiers Loyal to the Republic, Minister Says
A coup that was announced in Benin on Sunday has been “foiled,” the country’s interior minister said in a video on Facebook. “In the early morning of Sunday, December 7, 2025, a small group of soldiers launched a mutiny with the aim of destabilising the state and its institutions,” Alassane Seidou said. “Faced with this situation, the Beninese Armed Forces and their leadership, true to their oath, remained committed to the Republic. Their response allowed them to maintain control of the situation and thwart the attempt.” Earlier, a group of soldiers had appeared on Benin’s state television and announced the dissolution of the government in an apparent coup. The group, which called itself the Military Committee for Refoundation, said the president had been removed and all state institutions dissolved. Lt. Col. Pascal Tigri was appointed president of the military committee, the soldiers said. There has been no official news about President Patrice Talon since gunshots were heard around the presidential residence. However, the signal to the state television and public radio which was cut off has now been restored. Africanews and AP
Benin Coup: ECOWAS Orders Immediate Deployment of Standby Force
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has ordered the immediate deployment of its Standby Force in Benin following Sunday morning’s aborted coup d’etat in the country. … ECOWAS, in [a] statement, said it had decided to deploy the standby force following wide consultations with its Heads of State and Government, and the Mediation and Security Council. … It explained that the decision, taken at the highest level, was based on Article 25(e) of the 1999 ECOWAS Protocol Relating to the Mechanism for Conflict Prevention, Management, Resolution, Peacekeeping, and Security. … “The Regional Force shall be made up of troops from the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Republic of Sierra Leone, Republic of Côte d’Ivoire, and Republic of Ghana. The Force shall support the Government and the Republican Army of Benin to preserve constitutional order and the territorial integrity of the Republic of Benin,” the statement said. Premium Times
As Russia’s Africa Corps Fights in Mali, Witnesses Describe Atrocities from Beheadings to Rapes
A new Russian military unit that replaced the Wagner mercenary group is carrying out abuses including rapes and beheadings as it teams up with Mali ‘s military to hunt down extremists, dozens of civilians who fled the fighting have told The Associated Press. The Africa Corps is using the same tactics as Wagner, the refugees said … Two refugees showed videos of villages burned by the “white men.” Two others said they found bodies of loved ones with liver and kidneys missing, an abuse the AP previously reported around Wagner. “It’s a scorched-earth policy,” said a Malian village chief who fled. “The soldiers speak to no one. Anyone they see, they shoot. No questions, no warning.” … When the Africa Corps replaced Wagner six months ago, weary civilians hoped for less brutality. … But refugees described a new reign of terror by Africa Corps in the vast and largely lawless territory, and legal analysts said Moscow is directly responsible. AP
Burkina Faso Plans to Restore Death Penalty for Treason, Terrorism, Espionage
Burkina Faso’s Council of Ministers has adopted a bill to restore the death penalty, targeting offenses such as treason, terrorism and espionage, authorities said. … The death penalty was abolished in the country in 2018. … Marceau Sivieude, Amnesty International’s Regional Director for West and Central Africa, called the move a “serious setback for human rights in Burkina Faso,” and alarming “in the context of the ongoing crackdown on political opponents, human rights activists and journalists in Burkina Faso.” Since taking power in a 2022 coup, the West African country’s military leaders have launched sweeping reforms, including postponing elections that were expected to restore civilian rule and dissolving the country’s independent electoral commission. AP
Sudan: RSF Strike on Kordofan Kindergarten Kills Dozens, Mostly Children
A drone strike by Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) hit a kindergarten in South Kordofan, killing 50 people, including 33 children, the Sudan Doctors Network (SDN) said late on Friday. The group reported that the RSF and its ally, the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement – North (SPLM-N), on Thursday carried out “deliberate suicide-drone attacks” on the kindergarten and several civilian facilities in Kalogi town. The SDN, a group that has been supporting civilians throughout the course of Sudan’s war, said paramedics responding to the scene came under “a second, unexpected attack”. “This attack constitutes a grave violation of international humanitarian law and is a continuation of the targeting of civilians and vital infrastructure,” it added. The RSF also bombed the city’s hospital and a government building. The death toll is likely higher, but communication blackouts in the area have hindered efforts to confirm casualties. The strike is the latest escalation in the two-year war between the RSF and the Sudanese army, with much of the fighting now centred in the oil-rich Kordofan region. Middle East Eye
Uganda’s Electoral Commission Condemns Violence at Bobi Wine’s Rally
Uganda’s Electoral Commission has condemned the violence that broke out during presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine’s campaign rally in Gulu on December 6, terming the incident unfortunate and uncalled for. In a statement, the commission’s Chairperson, Justice Byabakama Mugenyi Simon said the clashes were especially disappointing, coming just days after a meeting between agents of all presidential candidates and the Uganda Police Force, where parties committed to peaceful and lawful conduct during the campaign period. The Commission reiterated that violence goes against its consistent call for stakeholders to uphold peace and adhere to electoral laws to guarantee Ugandans a free, fair and credible election. At the same time, Justice Byabakama stressed that all duly nominated presidential candidates are free to campaign anywhere in Uganda as long as they observe the law and EC guidelines. The Standard
Thousands Flee South as Fighting Intensifies Days after DRC and Rwanda Recommit to Peace Deal
M23 rebels, supported by the Rwandan army are continuing their advance in the South Kivu region of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, local sources say. On Saturday, the rebels took control of the strategic town of Luvungi, near the border with Burundi, and several surrounding villages. Thousands of people have been forced to flee their homes as the fighting intensifies. A spokesperson for the Congolese Armed Forces told Africanews that government troops had withdrawn from Luvungi to avoid major damage and protect civilians. In a statement, the army said that shells fired from inside Rwanda had hit communities in the Ruzizi plain, killing civilians and destroying schools, health centers and homes. Independent sources say that the rebels are now advancing towards the town of Uvira. The escalation in fighting comes just days after the leaders of the DRC and Rwanda met with US President Trump in Washington and reaffirmed their commitment to an earlier peace plan signed in June. Africanews
Guinea-Bissau’s Military Junta Announces National Transitional Council to Oversee Governing Bodies
Just over a week after seizing power, Guinea-Bissau’s military says it has established a National Transitional Council. The Council will prepare the instruments of transition and oversee transitional governing bodies and their activities. The resolution, published on Thursday, didn’t specify how council members will be selected. … The military coup came three days after a closely contested presidential election which the two main contenders both claim to have won. On Tuesday, the country’s electoral commission said that it’s unable to finalise results of the disputed presidential vote after armed men broke into its office and stole tally sheets on the same day the military seized power. Africanews
Mozambique’s Displaced Facing Massive Needs as Attacks Intensify
The ongoing emergency in northern Mozambique continues to worsen as prolonged attacks by non-state armed groups in Nampula trigger one of the largest displacement surges of the year, the UN warned on Friday. According to the UN aid coordination office, OCHA, 107,000 people have fled their homes in recent weeks, pushing total displacement in just the past four months to 330,000. “They barely had time to recover when they again had to leave, due to attacks or fear of attacks,” said Paola Emerson, OCHA Head of Office in Mozambique. The veteran humanitarian explained that violence has often uprooted families multiple times as they endure weeks of attacks. This is an unusual pattern, compared to previous hit-and-run tactics characteristic of violence erupted in northern Cabo Delgado province in in 2017. This conflict and climate shocks have now displaced more than 600,000 people, UN data indicates, while nearly nine in 10 of those fleeing violence have already fled at least once this year. Ms. Emerson added that this latest wave of attacks has been particularly destabilising for communities already battered by three cyclones in 2025. UN News
Global Coalition Condemns Rights Abuses in Tanzania, Call for Independent Investigation
A coalition of foreign missions and delegations, including the British and Canadian High Commissions, the Embassies of Norway, Switzerland, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, and the European Union Delegation, have issued a joint statement expressing deep concern over the recent post-election violence in Tanzania. … It expressed profound regret over the tragic loss of lives and injuries resulting from the unrest, emphasising the need for security forces to exercise maximum restraint. Highlighting credible reports of extrajudicial killings, disappearances, arbitrary arrests, and the concealment of bodies, the statement urged authorities to release all deceased individuals to their families and ensure political prisoners have access to legal and medical support. The international community also called on the Tanzanian government to address shortcomings identified in preliminary election reports by the African Union (AU) and Southern African Development Community (SADC). The Citizen
Sweden to End Bilateral Development Aid to Tanzania by August 2026
Sweden has announced that it will phase out bilateral development cooperation with Tanzania by August 31, 2026 as part of a wider reorientation of its foreign aid priorities. The Nordic country will also end aid to Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Liberia, and Bolivia, freeing up resources to bolster support for Ukraine. The current cooperation strategy between Sweden and Tanzania has been extended until the phase-out date, ensuring continuity in ongoing programmes. Despite the shift, Sweden will maintain a permanent presence in Tanzania through its embassy in Dar es Salaam, focusing on political affairs, trade, investment, and support for Swedish citizens. Officials stressed that the decision is not linked to recent events in Tanzania. The Citizen
Puntland Deploys Fresh Troops to Al-Miskaad Mountains as Anti-ISIS Offensive Enters Final Phase
Puntland has begun deploying fresh troops to parts of the Al-Miskaad mountain range in the Bari region, where an ongoing security operation is targeting fleeing fighters from the Islamic State–linked group, regional officials said Monday. Hundreds of newly assigned soldiers have been sent to the Baallade valley and surrounding areas to replace units that have been engaged in a year-long offensive. Additional contingents trained in the town of Badhan are expected to join the operation in the coming days, officials added. The “Hillaac” operation, launched in December 2024 to dismantle the IS-affiliated network in the rugged mountain terrain, was initially planned for completion in December 2025. Authorities say the campaign has now entered its final phase, focused on chasing down the remaining militants, who no longer hold fixed positions or maintain operational strongholds. Senior Puntland defence officers told HM that the offensive “will not stop” until the last Islamic State fighter in the region is killed or captured, underscoring the administration’s determination to eliminate the group’s presence in the northeast.
Nuclear Energy Poised to Rise Sharply in Africa’s Power Mix: Report
Ghana, Nigeria, and South Africa could each see nuclear energy account for up to 30% of total electricity supply by 2050, while nuclear energy could represent 24% of Rwanda’s power generation mix by the same year, said [a] report by The Rockefeller Foundation. … More investments in nuclear power could see each country’s electricity generation costs fall by at least 13%, compared with only relying on renewable sources, the report said. … South Africa is the only country in Africa with an operational nuclear power plant. … Nuclear energy projects are also underway in other African countries such as Ghana and Rwanda, which are notably ahead in the continental race to develop small modular reactors — a category of nuclear power facilities that are easier to build, ship, and install in remote areas. Ghana’s plans have invited interest from China, France, Russia, South Korea, and the US. An International Atomic Energy Agency inspection team assessed the proposed site of the country’s first nuclear power plant in February. Semafor