UN Alarm at Constraints on Humanitarian Access across Sudan amid Ongoing Attacks
The Office of UN Secretary-General, António Guterres, has expressed alarm at attacks on civilians and ongoing restraints on humanitarian access across Sudan. Drone attacks constantly target civilians, and essential roads are unsafe, making humanitarian aid logistics nigh-on impossible. At a daily press briefing in New York on Monday, Spokesman for the Secretary-General, Stéphane Dujarric, told reporters: “We continue to be alarmed by attacks on civilians and growing constraints on humanitarian access across many parts of the country. In West Kordofan, local sources report that seven people were killed and dozens injured when an air strike hit a funeral gathering in Payam Kasha in the Nuba Mountains last Friday. … In Darfur, increasing insecurity and restriction on humanitarian movements are choking humanitarian access. Aid workers face armed robberies, they face attacks along key routes, while some organizations have been forced to suspend operations altogether, leaving vulnerable populations with even fewer services.” Dabanga
Sexual Violence Part of ‘Everyday Life’ in Parts of Sudan, Charity Says
Rape and sexual violence remain “part of everyday life” in areas of Sudan even when fighting in the country’s civil war has moved elsewhere, according to a new report by medical charity Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF). Calling rape a “defining feature” of the conflict, it says sexual assault is overwhelmingly carried out by armed men and is often accompanied by acts of brutality and humiliation. But MSF says rape persists as an “insidious” part of life for communities in the western region of Darfur that are no longer on the front line. The report is the most comprehensive account yet on sexual violence in Sudan’s nearly three-year war. … The warring parties – Sudan’s army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) – are both accused of sexual violence. But Darfur is the stronghold of the RSF and the vast majority of perpetrators identified by survivors were their fighters. Many of the cases in the report took place in the conflict hotspot of North Darfur last year, following the RSF takeovers of the displaced persons camps of Zamzam and Abu Shouk, and of the city of el-Fasher in October, which MSF calls “one of the most shocking iterations, unfolding the most unimaginable brutality”. BBC
Zimbabwe: Orchestration not Consultation – Opposition Leaders Withdraw from Constitution Amendment Bill Public Hearings
Opposition figures including Jameson Zvidzai Timba, Tendai Biti, Lovemore Madhuku and former lawmaker Munyaradzi Gwisai have announced their withdrawal from the ongoing public hearings on the proposed Constitution Amendment Bill No. 3, citing violence, intimidation and the exclusion of dissenting voices. The announcement, made in Harare during a joint press conference by the Defend the Constitution Platform (DCP), the Constitution Defence Forum (CDF) and the National Constitutional Assembly (NCA), follows the chaos that marred the consultation programme, which concludes tomorrow. Political and civic leaders were reportedly denied the opportunity to address the hearings, while violence erupted in Harare where rights lawyer Doug Coltart was attacked and his phone stolen. Speaking on behalf of the group, Timba said the developments had rendered the process illegitimate. “What we witnessed yesterday in Harare, and indeed in other parts of the country, cannot be described as a genuine consultative process,” he said. … “Disengagement does not mean withdrawal from the constitutional struggle. On the contrary, it marks the beginning of a more structured, citizen-driven response,” he said. New Zimbabwe
‘Women Who Speak Out Must be Exterminated’: the Rising Tide of Digital Violence Facing Ethiopian Activists
ordanos Bezabih, an Ethiopian women’s rights activist, had faced online threats for years: of acid attacks, gang-rape and death. She tried her best to ignore the abuse as she continued her advocacy work. But in 2025, the threats became more menacing. In April, an anonymous Telegram group with 6,000 subscribers organised an effort to track down her location. They shared deepfakes of her – nude images and videos. The following month, a stranger started to film her in the streets, calling her by her social media handle. In summer, thieves broke into her house and stole her laptop. Soon after, her Telegram account was hacked and her private photos and messages were circulated on social media. The perpetrators later circulated her address, she says, demanding she be found and “executed”. … Bezabih is one of a small but growing number of feminists and women’s rights defenders who have left Ethiopia over the past two years, as online violence has become all-pervasive and uncontrolled. Three years after Facebook was accused of allowing hate speech to spread unchecked in Ethiopia, amid genocidal violence against ethnic Tigrayans during the civil war – claims rejected by Meta – social media inciters in Ethiopia have found a new target: women online. The Guardian
South Africa Launches Major Security Operation to Tackle Crime and Gang Violence
In a show of force in Cape Town, around 500 military and police personnel paraded ahead of a year-long deployment targeting gangs, illegal mining, and organized crime across the Western Cape. The operation, set to begin in April, will cover five of South Africa’s nine provinces, focusing on areas struggling with rampant crime. … Deputy National Police Commissioner Lieutenant General Tebello Mosikili emphasized a coordinated, intelligence-driven approach. “We place emphasis on operations to dismantle illicit mining networks, combat gang violence, and disrupt broader organized crime across the country,” she said. The deployment comes as South Africa continues to battle high levels of violent crime. Excluding countries at war, the nation ranks among the world’s deadliest, with around 60 homicides reported daily. Authorities hope the combined efforts of the military and police will restore security, reduce gang activity, and protect vulnerable communities across the targeted provinces. AfricaNews/AP
Senegal Doubles Jail Terms for Same-sex Relations amid Crackdown
Senegal has enacted a new law that doubles prison sentences for same-sex relations and extends penalties to those accused of promoting homosexuality. The move has drawn strong international criticism while reflecting broad political support at home. President Bassirou Diomaye Faye signed the law after it was published in the official journal on Tuesday, finalising legislation that parliament had already approved on 11 March by an overwhelming majority – 135 votes in favour, none against and three abstentions. With no legal challenge lodged, the measure took effect immediately. … False accusations are punishable by two to three years in prison and fines of between about €300 and €750. The changes come amid an intensifying crackdown. Since February, more than 30 people have been arrested on accusations linked to same-sex relations or the “voluntary transmission of HIV”, including television personalities. … Several voices have raised concerns about a growing climate of homophobia and confusion among parts of the public between homosexuality, paedophilia and HIV. RFI
South Africa Sees Maritime Traffic Surge Amid Iran War
As the world’s largest shipping operators suspend Gulf transit amid the U.S.-Israeli war in Iran, many are redirecting vessels around South Africa’s Cape of Good Hope. Companies like Maersk, CMA CGM and Hapag-Lloyd have all diverted vessels from the region’s high-risk areas, such as the Strait of Hormuz and the Red Sea, increasing traffic off the South African coastline. The Strait of Hormuz has been closed since late February, when Washington and Israel launched their attacks on Tehran, which said it closed the vital waterway in response. The Strait of Hormuz usually transports about 20 percent of the world’s oil supply. The Houthis, an Iranian-backed militia in Yemen, attacked Israel over the weekend, widening the war. They had previously disrupted global shipping in the Red Sea, attacking vessels and crew members. As global shipping companies seek safer routes, Brian Ingpen, a maritime economist based in Cape Town, estimates that traffic through Southern Africa will almost double. … In some cases, rerouting vessels around the Cape of Good Hope has already raised shipping costs 30 percent to 70 percent, according to some estimates. Refueling in Algo Bay, off South Africa’s east coast, is ideal for rerouted shipping as it avoids port fees on the extended journey. NY Times
Burundi’s Main City Rocked by Blasts after Electrical Fire at Military Store
Multiple explosions ripped through the city of Bujumbura after a fire broke out late on Tuesday at a military arsenal in Burundi’s economic capital, an army spokesman said. Fear of a coup in the small African Great Lakes nation gripped the population after a projectile landed close to the national radio broadcaster, a resident living near the affected building told AFP, requesting anonymity. … “A serious electrical accident in the ammunition store of the FDNB (Burundi National Defence Force) based in Musaga is the cause of the explosions currently being heard in the economic capital Bujumbura,” Burundian army spokesman Gaspard Baratuza said. … Since President Evariste Ndayishimiye took power in June 2020, the former Belgian colony has swung between signs of liberalising a government still in thrall to the country’s powerful generals and cracking down on the opposition. Both NGOs and the United Nations have criticised breaches of human rights in the country. France24
The Deadly Cheetah Trafficking between Somaliland and the Gulf
The feline is highly sought after by wealthy collectors of wild animals, who are numerous on the Arabian Peninsula. Across the way, in the Horn of Africa, Somaliland has become the main hub of a thriving trafficking network, even as the species itself is under threat. Neptune, Enki, Anuket … The eight young cheetahs pacing in their enclosure have survived against all odds. They all bear the names of water deities because the Somaliland Coast Guard rescued them at sea in September 2025. In total, 11 cheetah cubs – three of which have since died – just a few days old, were crammed into potato sacks hidden in the hold of a dhow. While this traditional boat is usually used for fishing, in the strait separating Somalia from Yemen, it also serves as a vehicle for all kinds of trafficking, including cheetahs taken from the Horn of Africa and bound for Gulf countries. In the opulence of the Gulf petromonarchies, these trophy animals are displayed on social media as the ultimate status symbol, sometimes seated in the passenger seat of luxury cars, sometimes tethered in enormous private zoos. Le Monde
Record 10 African Nations Qualify for Expanded 2026 World Cup
Africa will make history at the 2026 FIFA World Cup, with a record ten nations securing direct qualification for the expanded global tournament — a major milestone for the continent’s football growth. The unprecedented representation comes as the tournament expands its format, allowing more teams from around the world to compete on football’s biggest stage. Among those qualified are continental heavyweights Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt and Algeria, alongside strong contenders such as Senegal, Ivory Coast and Ghana. Emerging teams have also secured their places, including Cape Verde, South Africa and Democratic Republic of the Congo — the latter completing the historic lineup after a decisive win to claim Africa’s tenth slot. The qualification of DR Congo is particularly significant, marking a return to the World Cup stage after more than 50 years and highlighting the growing competitiveness of African football. AfricaNews