- Col. (ret.) Daniel Hampton (Slides)
1. Contemporary Security Trends
- Dr. Raymond Gilpin (Slides)
- Jakkie Cilliers, “Future (im)perfect? Mapping conflict, violence and extremism in Africa,” Institute for Security Studies, ISS Paper 287 (October 2015): 1–24.
- Fragile States Index, 2017 Annual Report.
- Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project, “Real-time Analysis of African Political Violence,” Conflict Trends, no. 58. May 2017.
2. Collective Approaches to Security
- Dr. Paul Williams (Slides)
- Paul Williams, “Enhancing U.S. Support for Peace Operations in Africa,” Council on Foreign Relations Center for Preventative Action, Council Special Report No. 73, May 2015.
- Institute for Security Studies, “PSC Interview: ‘The African Standby Force need political buy in from member states.’ PSC Report, November 8, 2016.
- Sophie Desmidt and Volker Hauck, “Conflict Management under the African Peace and Security Architecture (APSA),” European Centre for Development Policy Management, Discussion Paper no. 211, April 2017.
3. Gender Perspectives on Security
- Julia Arostegui (Slides)
- Dr. Dorina Bekoe
- “Women as symbols and swords in Boko Haram’s Terror,” PRISM. Vol. 6, no. 1 (2016): 105–121.
- “Gender Perspectives and Military Effectiveness: Implementing UNSCR 1325 and the National Action Plan on Women, Peace, and Security,” PRISM, vol. 6, no. 1 (2016): 73–89.
- “Making women count: Women’s inclusion in peace processes at a glance,” Inclusive Peace & Transition Initiative and UN Women, January 2016.
4. U.S. Africa Strategy in Practice
- Dr. Shannon Smith
- Col. (ret.) Benjamin Crockett
- S. Strategy toward Sub-Saharan Africa, June 2012.
- “The U.S. foreign aid budget, visualized,” The Washington Post, October 18, 2016.
- “The African Union (AU): Key Issues and U.S.-AU Relations,” Congressional Research Services, December 16, 2016.
5. Africa’s External Security Partners
- “China’s African Adventure,” Foreign Policy, April 24, 2014.
- Moving beyond a Donor-Recipient Relationship? Assessing Partnership in the Joint Africa-EU Strategy, KFG Working Paper Series, 63, February 2015.
- “What Is Brazil Really Doing in Africa?” Huffington post, January 4, 2015.
- “Turkey’s Engagement in Sub-Saharan Africa: Shifting Alliances and
- Strategic Diversification,” Chatham House Africa Programme, Research Paper, September 2015.
6. Democratic Transitions and Security
- Dr. Joseph Siegle (Slides)
- “Preventing Electoral Violence: Greater Awareness, but Still Falling Short,” USIP Insights (Winter 2015): 5–7.
- “Does Election Violence make Citizens Hate Democracy and Love Autocracy? Evidence from 19 Sub-Saharan African Countries,” Election Violence Project, March 23, 2016
- “Do Africans still want Democracy?” Afrobarometer Policy Paper, No. 36, November 2016.
7. Accountability and Governance
- Adotei Akwei
- Illicit Financial Flows: Why Africa needs to “track it, stop it, and get it!,” Report of the High Level Panel on Illicit Financial Flows, Joint African Union Commission/United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, January, 2015.
- “African Militaries: A Missing Link in Democratic Transitions,” Africa Security Brief No. 17, Africa Center for Strategic Studies, January 31, 2012.
8. Maritime Safety and Security
- Dr. Raymond Gilpin (Slides)
- “Maritime Security in the Gulf of Guinea: Lessons Learned from the Indian Ocean,” Chatham House, July 2013.
- “Combating Piracy in the Gulf of Guinea,” Africa Security Brief No. 30, Africa Center for Strategic Studies, February 2015.
9. Transnational Organized Crime
- William Wechsler
- “The AU’s Cybercrime response: A positive start, but substantial challenges ahead,” ISS Policy Brief, January 2015.
- “Does Organized Crime Exist in Africa?” African Affairs, 114, no. 457, August 2015.
- “The Illicit Superhighway: Transnational Organized Crime in Africa?” Spotlight, May 22, 2017.
10. Countering Violent Extremism
- Dr. Benjamin Nickels (Slides)
- “Does CVE Work? Lessons Learned from the Global Effort to Counter Violent Extremism,” Global Center for Cooperative Security, September 2015.
- “Motivations and Empty Promises”: Voice of Former Boko Haram Combatant and Nigerian Youth,” April 2016
- “Islamist Extremism in East Africa,” Africa Security Brief 32, Africa Center for Strategic Studies, August 9, 2016.
11. Over the Horizon Challenges
- Amb. (ret.) Phillip Carter III
- “Causes of conflict and the promotion of durable peace and sustainable development in Africa,” (A/70/176–S/2015/560), July 24, 2015.
- “Can the Security Council Prevent Conflict,” Research Report, Februray 2017.
Case Study: The Lake Chad Basin and Boko Haram
- Amb. (ret.) Dan Mozena
- Oge Onubogu
- “Who Speaks for the North? Politics and Influence in Northern Nigeria,” Chatham House, Africa Programme (July 2014).
- “Re-evaluating the Boko Haram Conflict,” Africa in Focus, Brookings Institution, February 2016.
- “Getting behind the profiles of Boko Haram members and factors contributing to radicalisation versus working towards peace,” KAICIID Dialogue Center, September 2016.
Africa Center Community Overview
- Claude Tozé (Slides)